A collection of links on the Netherlands, its history, culture and heritage.
With a special focus on Amsterdam, and on the more rural area just southeast of the city we call countryside in Holland.
In any case, an unexpected variety of nature there, so close to Amsterdam. With plenty of history and small fortified towns. Ideal terrain for a bicycle day trip.
Links are to websites that are (partly) in English, unless mentioned otherwise.
Obviously, in Dutch there is much more on the internet. Just try it ; images tend to speak for themselves.
In the resources section you can find more practical and background information that can be of use for your visit to Holland. As well as on the video pages.
Useful websites for visiting the Netherlands
- The weather
- www.buienradar.nl : rain radar, actual and forecast.
- www.weather-forecast.com : actual, short and long term forecast.
- www.schiphol.nl : Schiphol Amsterdam Airport.
- www.ns.nl : official site Dutch Railways ; timetables, prices, information.
- www.simplyamsterdam.nl : practical info on airport travel & train tickets.
- www.9292.nl : route planner for all public transport in the Netherlands.
- www.dutchnews.nl : online Dutch news platform.
- www.npr.org : Dutch public broadcast. News & Analysis, with live stream radio.
- http://watch.squidtv.net/ : Live stream TV Netherlands & other countries.
What's on - Agenda
- www.uitburo.nl : Very complete, but in Dutch only. Search on city and/or activity. (exhibition = tentoonstelling)
- www.museum.nl : all museums. In Dutch, but most museums have English info.
Information on the Netherlands
- www.minbuza.nl : Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, for general information on the Netherlands.
- www.holland.com : The Official Holland Tourism Site.
- netherlands-tourism.com : very broad information on the Netherlands - practical, touristical and backgrounds.
- www.tripadvisor.com : travel forum, reviews and loads of travel articles.
- Europe for Visitors : resource for research and preparation of travels in Europe with articles, practical tips and many links.
- www.detelefoongids.nl : telephone guide for the Netherlands.
- www.x-rates.com : Currency converter.
- www.mycurrencytransfer.com : Currency converter & money transfer.
- Measurement unit converters : Temperature / Length / Distance / Weight / etc.
- www.timeanddate.com : Time and Date World clock.
- www.countrycallingcodes.com : Online tool ; Find the international dialing code or time zone for any country.
- This online dictionary can also come in handy.
Telephone number for all emergencies : 112. (police, fire, ambulance)
Police (non-urgent) 0900-8844.
to top of page